Monday, July 14, 2008

Lu at the Zoo



Today we took a day trip to the zoo with some friends. As expected, Olivia was mostly into staring and riding, but it was a good first trip. With two other little girls, including a spunky four-year-old, there was still plenty of excitement and energy to go around.

It had been years since I'd been to the zoo, so I was interested to go as well. When I first walked in, however, that familiar stank came at me. I was kinda afraid that I'd be holding my breath the whole way through, but it turns out these were the culprits...


Yes, that is right, Flamingos are stinky creatures. Not the stinkiest, that title easily goes to the porcupines which were far too stinky to even take the time to photograph.

The Pygmy goats were a hit with all the kids, but Olivia's favorite by far were the Penguins! She loved watching them up close as they swam around behind the Plexiglas. I think her love of water and the similarities between how the penguins smelled with her own dirty diapers really helped to cement the bond.


There were lots of other cool things we saw and it couldn't have been a nicer day. Nice breeze, we got there right when it opened so there weren't many people, and the lions were out and about which I hear is a nice bonus.



After our zoo visit, we went to a nearby park to enjoy a picnic and bask in the sun. Not a bad day at all.


No comments: