Saturday, April 5, 2008

Stupid Plastic Card


All things come to an end.  Gone are the days of disposable income, or perhaps more appropriately, gone are the days of waste-able income.  That is really all I did when I was feeling a little down or something shiny caught my eye or I was in a good mood.  Pretty much anytime I felt like it really, I would just blow money on things I didn't need and ultimately didn't even want.  I would never allow myself to carry cash.  That was always a guaranteed way to get the economy stimulated..giving me cash money.  For me personally, it is better to have all cash put away where I can't see it.  I see stacks of money and I want to give it to people who will give me things like movies and candy and video games.  I have gift cards collecting dust because if I use them, they are gone.  Something about them makes me want to get something really good, because they are gifts.  I can't use them to get something practical, I don't want practical things for my birthday or Christmas.  So instead I hang on to these little pieces of plastic and stare and things that might be cool to have, yet I'm afraid that once I turn over my gift card for this latest ware, they will bring out the real latest and greatest techno gadget that does twice as much for half the price.  So, I keep my little plastic card.  Who knows, maybe someday they will have a cooler looking gift card I can buy with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you.. But it is good we realize our issues... :-) it is an addiction.. and with all great addictions, acknowledging and eliminating situations where you could be tempted are key. For me that one is pretty darn easy, with gas prices so high, I cant justify special trips to "just look", which usually lead to a purchase that is a "good buy" however unnecessary and a better "buy" would be to save the money I would have spent and put it away towards my life dream of living well/traveling later and for things that REALLY matter.. a no stress life!!!! things clutter our lives, houses,and keep us concentraing on unimportant things like more things instead of the important issue in the world, packaging clutter the earth not to mention buying STUFF make us poor- which cause us stress and leads to more buying to make us feel better, we need less STUFF and once we all realize it, China wont be a factor, we'll buy things that REALLY matter and spend quality time doing family activities-- hats off to you on your journey! shiny is hard to pass up -but the end result is TRUE happiness! quality over quantity- My new motto!

p.s. I too have giftcards from over a year ago, I will hold onto and buy something I REALLY want/need not impulse stuff

I Love you- your big sis..