Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I'm glad this isn't all up to me

It is nice to be in charge of things...usually. Sometimes it means more stress and longer hours, but calling the shots can be pretty sweet. I have all sorts of ideas about how things should be in my life, my community, my country and even my world. The thing with my ideas though, is they are mostly not very good. Maybe, in relation to ideas in generally, they really aren't all that bad or crazy. I have career goals and family goals that are pretty realistic and down to earth. However, when I compare my plans, with God's plans, that's where my ideas start to pale in comparison. If I were in charge, I'd be working at a Tractor dealership still. I made more money, I got to play with equipment and I got to travel to the annual show with awesome food and cool parties. What could be wrong with that? Well, working at that dealership meant longer hours and poor eating habits. I also worked with my parents and sister and wife. I love them all, but the stress of operating the business created tension and stress that drove wedges between us all. If everything was going according to my plans, I wouldn't have a baby girl growing in my wife's belly. MY GOD! What a joy she is and she isn't even born! I can't thank God enough for the directions he has taken me, usually against my will. When I find myself wondering why things happen differently than I lay them, it doesn't take me long to remember that God has a plan...a much, much better plan.