Sunday, October 21, 2007

My kingdom for 40 Grit

A few weeks back, we received a brand new, old dresser. It is a family heirloom from my wife's side of the family that has been more passed off, than passed on to us I think. Nonetheless, it is a needed piece of furniture in our home with the approaching birth of our daughter and I truly am grateful to get it. The years have not been particularly kind to it, nor have the children who have used it in the past. With its missing and mismatched knobs, sticker residue, dings, scratches, and one leg that is slightly shorter than the others, it leaves a lot to be desired. With a little work...well perhaps a lot of work...I am hoping to give it some new life. Work began tonight as a burst of energy sparked a desire to finally go out to the garage and start sanding it down. With my trusty sander destroyed from my misuse no doubt, I went to work with my hands and the various pieces of sandpaper we happened to already have in the house. It took some doing, but the first phase of the project is well underway. Of course, sanding the top is the easiest part, but my next visit to the garage, I'll be accompanied by much more aggressive sandpaper. So, with a slightly sweaty brow and lungs full of dust I look upon yet another project I've started and hope that I can not only finish it, but finish it in a timely manner. I haven't done anything like this before, but that fact never stopped me before. I'm sure I'll make some mistakes, but it couldn't look any worse than it already
does...can it?

Watch my progress in the sidebar. I'll keep working away and updating the photos....