Sunday, November 11, 2007

Glad to Help

I had my heart broken on the way home Friday. As I drove from work I got the unexpected news of my brother-in-law's job loss. Certainly there are more terrible and permanent things that can happen to a person, but with the recent memories of going through the same thing, it was all I could do not to break down on the side of the highway.

I will never understand God's plans or how they work. At least not in this lifetime. The immediate question of "Why do bad things happen to good people?" comes to mind, the fear of not knowing how he and his immediate family will cope with the bills and insurance and trying to find new work in our struggling economy. How are they going to make it on their own?!

Then, I remember...they are not alone. They are never alone. I remember, the songs and the verses and truth that is God's love for us. Sometimes it takes an earthquake for us to move. Sometimes God wants to move us towards something better. The journey may not be easy or painless and the end may never seem in sight, but it is a journey to some place better and God wants to take that journey with him.

It is a journey that I also gladly pack my bags for. I prepare not for a death march, but a journey of life with family and friends. An opportunity to grow in faith and friendship and love. I am excited to see what God is going to do in the life of my dear friend and in the lives of all those who are lucky enough to know him.

No comments: