Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Power of Words

I am discovering different worlds and inspiring ideas as I read new books and reread old ones. I never liked reading as a kid. There was seldom a time when my school book reports would not be some overblown review of the four or five pages I skimmed at various sections of the book. Even now I can't just pick up anything and read it regardless of what a classic it is supposed to be. However, I've become much more open to the written word and the draw of a well-crafted story.
Of the few books I've read so far, all have helped to move me along a path towards understanding God. Some have reassured me, some have corrected unhealthy thinking, and some have brought a new insight into the world that Jesus entered. Some of these books are listed in my "Must Read" section, but I will work at making that a more complete list throughout the days.

As far as the most life-changing book I have read...The Bible. Of course it is. It is the foundation of everything great I have ever read. Whether the books I read are inspirational pep talks with supporting verses, in depth histories that detail the events happening in conjunction with it, or dogma-challenging works...they all are great because of the greatness of The Bible. It is the greatest story being told.